Saturday, August 8, 2009

In the Beginning.., There was kinky hair... and it was good!!

Psalm 139:14 "I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made."

This year has been all about me allowing God to transform me from the inside out! I never realize how beautiful I could be until I stop hiding behind "European standards."

As a young woman, I was always was taught that Our hair is our crown of glory! I was taught that our hair can help aide in getting a mate, help us with our careers and it overall defines our beauty. Did I forget to mention, I was taught that in order to have these things that kinky hair was out of the question!! I wasn't taught that from my home parse, but definitely from my peers and in the media.

I can remember at the tender age of 9, begging my mother to put a perm in my hair! My mom of course went against my wishes until I was 13. It's funny looking back, boy was I so naive; I was so hardheaded I should have listen to my mother :)!

At any rate, my obsession with straight hair progressed to excessive weave wearing, fake nails, eyelashes and colored contacts! I can't believe I wore all of that stuff to make me "beautiful". I gradually stop wearing those things as I got older and started to embrace my own beauty. I knew back in 1999 that I wanted to transition my hair back to its natural state because perming my hair was causing too much breakage and damage to my scalp. To transition, I wore wigs and weave...

Let's just say I transitoned way too long 10 years to be exact!!I had a very hard time letting go of the weave! It was just something about the having long straight hair or curly/ wavy texture that defined my feminity. It also meant that I was accepted in our community, did I really want to jeopardize that?It was Very difficult to shatter that image for me.

In recent years, I started to see more African american ladies rockin' their natural hair. I was in awe, I wanted to exube the confidence that they had in loving their natural kinky-curly hair! I started to contemplate doing the same!

One day, I was washing and blow drying my hair. When I re-discovered my hair in mirror, I fell in love with all of its beauty all over again. It still took me a while to get rid of the weave. I started to educate myself more on why we hated our natural texture and on natural hair care. The more I learned the more I knew I had to stop this cycle of self hate! One morning I finally decided to break the chains of bondage from from my feet and I did it- I EMBRACED my own hair! In all its God given glory and I started ROCKIN' my natural unpermed hair! I have not look back since! I still Can't believe how we let society's' view on hair define our lives and we become victims to perms and other texture altering products.

I wore weaves for ½ of my life! HALF! It took a lot of inner strength and courage to tell the world that I'm beautiful in spite of many superficial standards!

Now I'm ready to start a new journey with my hair! I will be installing sisterlocks in my hair on 8/29 & 8/30!! I'm so excited and anxious, I can't wait to share all the stages of my journey with all of you! Please stay tuned....God Bless!! Remember we are all fearfully and wonderfully made GOD never makes mistakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment